Thursday 28 April 2011

Easter in East Devon

William and I have just spent the long Easter break down in East Devon in our holiday home on wheels and it was wonderful.  The weather could not have been better and this is only April!   I can't remember the last time we had such good weather at Easter time.

DSC_0071b

After a six hour journey getting down there and setting up the 'van we made straight for the chippy in Beer village, bought our fish & chips and ate them overlooking the beach.  The fish in Beer has got to be the best there is and eating it with  the sea in front of us and the sound of the gulls in our ears is one of the things we really enjoy on our holidays in Devon.

DSC_0081b

After a good night's sleep, a leisurely breakfast and a quick trip to the supermarket the next thing on my list was a cream tea in Connaught Gardens at Sidmouth.   The tide was out when we got there exposing all the rocks.  I took the photo above from the cliff tops but if you look closely you'll see there are lots of people in and among the rockpools having a great time looking for anything that moves in those shallow waters.

DSC_0091b

As always the flowers were spectacular.  I particularly loved all the tulips this time.

DSC_0100_edited-1b

Budleigh Salterton is another of our favourite places to visit.  We took a picnic and relaxed on the beach for a couple of hours.  The sun was so hot I wished more than once that we had brought a sun umbrella with us.

DSC_0106_edited-1b

Snack bar on the prom.  There was a constant queue here.  I bet the ice cream manufacturers were rubbing their hands together with glee!

DSC_0105b

Looking down the beach.  Easter always sees the start of the holiday season and down here it was really busy with holidaymakers.

DSC_0110b

I thought this house looked beautiful with its wisteria in full bloom.  We saw lots of it everywhere.  I'd love some at the front of our house.  I'm thinking I just might have to buy some.

DSC_0114b

Then after a hard day's relaxing it was back to the ranch for... well, more relaxing.

I'll be back tomorrow with more holiday pics.

We had a lovely time on our Easter break but when I got home and checked my email I discovered that my sister and her family were having one of the worst times ever. My sister and her family live in Vilonia, Arkansas, the little town severely damaged by a tornado on Monday night.  Fortunately they are all safe and well but my heart goes out to those who were not so lucky.  Unfortunately their power was down and up to last night had still  not been connected so I haven't been able to speak to Maureen yet but I will keep trying and hope to get through to her soon.

TTFN,

Kathleen.

No comments: