Wednesday 14 July 2010

A Weekend Away and Portmeirion

We got back Monday night from a weekend in Wales staying William’s sister and her husband.  We always look forward to going to stay with Brenda and Arthur because we always, always have a good time with them.

We set off as planned at around one o’clock on Saturday afternoon when William came home from work. This in itself was a miracle because Victoria had asked me if I would put her hair colour on for her before I went and then Caroline rang at the last minute and asked if I would trim her hair for her before I went.  I managed to do both of these things and put my own hair colour on too, pack the suitcase and tidy the house all before William came home!

Anyway, onto the weekend.  On Sunday, as planned before our visit, Brenda and Arthur took us down to Portmeirion.  A place I had known about for a long time but had never ever visited.

DSC_4600We started the afternoon with the obligatory picnic.  There is something just so nice, for want of a better word, about eating a picnic lunch in the great outdoors.  Then into Portmeirion itself.  Portmeirion is a little piece of the Mediterranean right in the heart of Wales and what a beautiful, unique place it is!

DSC_4603a This pretty building is the first thing you see as you enter the village.  Then it just gets better and better.

DSC_4622

DSC_4624_colburn41%DSC_4630
 
The village was the brainchild of architect, Clough Williams-Ellis, who had a dream of building a coastal village.  His dream began to take shape when he purchased this land in 1925.  More info can be found at the official website here.

DSC_4634 Taken at Portmeirion. We were staying with Brenda & Arthur for the wknd. 11/07/2010 Sister and brother, Brenda and William.

Billy, Brenda and Arthur.  We stopped for a breather to absorb the sights and beauty around us.

The village has a beautiful hotel in the grounds and this is the resident’s pool, not open to the public.

DSC_4654 There are great photo opportunities at every turn, like this one on the right with stunning views over the estuary.

I half knew what to expect of Portmeirion, I’ve seen photographs of it here and there and I’m happy to report that the reality of it does not disappoint. Not one little bit. 

We had a great time wandering around, having a coffee outside one of these beautiful buildings, surrounded by wonderful scenery, in good company and what’s more in glorious sunshine.  What more can one ask?

One last thing.  To Brenda and Arthur who will read this sooner or later – thank you for a great weekend!

TFN

I’m linking to Outdoor Wednesday at  http://www.asoutherndaydreamer.blogspot.com/  Hop over there, you’ll find lots of other great OW posts to stroll through.

7 comments:

Love Bears All Things said...

Looks lovely! I was noticing that you are wearing long sleeves...I wish it were that cool here.
Your scrapbook pages are nice...I've just began doing them myself.
Mama Bear

Anonymous said...

Looks lovely, you could be abroad.
Love Victoria xxx

Linda said...

What a wonderful town...I just love reading all your posts and that Charlie is adorable!

eileeninmd said...

What a lovely village. The scenery is just beautiful. I especially love the last shot. Wonderful photos, thanks for sharing!

Deborah Kay at The Paint Splash said...

Thank you for the tour of this beautiful little village. Have a wonderful week. Debbie

JEANNE said...

Kathleen, I feel like I was there through your photos. Beautiful and a lovely adventure.
Hugs, Jeanne

John said...

What a lovely place, I had no idea it looked like that, we must really try and get there sometime. LS xxx