Saturday 23 March 2019

A Walk Up Calderbrook

Spring is finally here and today was a perfect day for a brisk walk to take in some of that fresh spring air.  


As well as the air, I took in the views along my way and here are a few pictures of those very views.  Old farmhouses, sheep in the fields, dry-stone walls are all pleasing to my eye so I had to stop and take this picture.


There's always a church along the way and I love churches.  This is St. James', a Grade II listed building, on Calderbrook Road.  I'll have to go back soon and have a look round the graveyard.  I don't know why I didn't do that today because reading the headstones is definitely one of my favourite things to do.  I know, I'm odd.


There are some lovely old buildings around here and Handle Hall, another Grade II Listed building, ..


.. and its attached barn are among them.  This old building has obviously been stone blasted in the recent past and doesn't it look grand?


The view down a little side lane.


I had wandered quite a way, mostly uphill, by the time I spotted this little public footpath and as it was going downhill in the direction of home I followed it.


The path looked out over to the Pennines on the other side of the valley.


Now one dwelling I bet at one time this des res was at least three if not four cottages. Studying the frontage you can see where windows and doors have been blocked up.  The small stone plaque reads "Reconstructed by Harry Gumbley 1968".

Last picture shows Fothergill & Harvey's old and very derelict Rock Nook Mill.  Such a shame that lots of grand old buildings like these are left to fall apart, I always think they could make fantastic apartments.  Oh well, I really enjoyed  my walk today and even though the sky looks dull in the pictures it really was quite a bright and lovely day.

Until next time,

No comments: